Friday 30 March 2007

Second Contact


My next and more permanent contact with garden centres happened a couple of years later. I had gone to college to study computer programming but after a few months I knew that it wasn’t for me. I dropped out with the idea of doing industrial design the following year. I decided that I had better get a temporary job to pay my way and my mum suggested that I try the local garden centre as they had recently moved and might be looking for more staff. Looking back I’m surprised she didn’t apply herself, she seemed to live there anyway.
I spruced myself up as much as possible and arrived at the garden centre early one morning. After waiting a moment or two at the tills a lady appeared from the office to see if I was all right.
“I was wondering if there was a job going at the moment?” I asked rather nervously.
“There might be,” the lady said, “Where are you from?”
“Crettyard.” I said, “I think you might know my mum, Ena Kelly?”
“Ah yes,” she said after a moments thought,” She’s in her quite often isn’t she?” No kidding, I thought, nodding in agreement.
“Can you start Monday?”
“Sure. No problem” I said.
So started my career in horticulture and retail which has spanned over 20 years so far with many highs and also the occasional low.

No comments: