Saturday 24 March 2007


After I left my job back in December I decided to take a couple of months off where I wouldn’t look at retail, just to decide where I wanted to go with my life. I’d just chill out, spend time with my family and take it easy. Sounds simple doesn’t it?
It worked for the first few days but after a while I noticed that I was becoming more aware of the shops I was visiting. When I was working, I guess, other retailers didn’t affect me so much as I was too busy concentrating on my own thoughts and ideas for the business I was running. Sure, you would take on board an idea another retailer was finding success with and you would occasionally, when time allowed, visit other garden centres. On your days off you tended not to let it sink in as you were always in a hurry.
Suddenly I began to notice a change in myself. I began questioning how or why the retailers around me were doing the things they were. From the largest supermarket to the local coffee shop I was suddenly curious about everything they did. This was much to the annoyance of my partner who would have to drag me away from Tescos POS equipment when they had their shutter up and I could see their printing machines and signage. I didn’t just want to know how the did things, I NEEDED to know.
Then it struck me that although I had tried to leave retail behind it still had a firm grip on me. I think it’s the same for all of us. It gets into your system like a virus and you have no control over it. There is no antidote, but maybe that’s not a bad thing.
I know now that retail was never going to be in my past. I was foolish to think it would be.
So, I’ve now embraced it again. All be it from another angle.

I guess I’m saying these things to give you an idea of where I was and where I am now. I can’t get enough of it now. From web articles to books to getting out and about. I love it. It’s a passion.

Anyone else out there with a passion for retail?

No comments: